Where is Capella University located? It’s in Minneapolis, Minnesota, but its Capella online school allows students to earn their degrees online, on their terms and on-demand from anywhere! One of the top questions asked is “Is Capella University a real college?” The answer is YES, ABSOLUTELY! Capella online school is one of the LEADING online universities in the world! As you will see below, Capella.edu offers FlexPath degrees which allows you to create a college experience tailored to your needs and expectations.
Jump To Your Section of Choice
- School’s History
- Online Programs
- Finanical Aid and Scholarships
- School Awards and Recognitions
- Career Advancement
Capella University, or simply Capella Uni among its students, faculty and staff, and alumni, began as the Graduate School of America in 1993 by Stephen Shank and Dr. Harold Abel. At that time, the school offered online master’s and doctoral degrees in a few subjects, such as Education, Human Services and Management.
By 1997, the school became accredited by The Higher Learning Commission. Academic offerings continue to expand to PhDs. In 1999, the school formally changed its name to Capella University, referencing a bright star – and the bright future of their students. The next year, the institution adds bachelor degrees to their offerings.
Throughout the late 2000s, the school continued to grow and gain various accreditations and honors. By 2020, the school offered 48 programs with over 160 specializations, employs over 1,500 faculty members, and have awarded degrees to over 60,000 graduates.
Capella University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
Higher Learning Commission: https://www.hlcommission.org, 800.621.7440
Capella University, Capella Tower, 225 South Sixth Street, Ninth Floor, Minneapolis, MN 55402, 1.888.CAPELLA (227.3552), https://www.capella.edu/capella-experience/why-choose-capella-university/university-accreditation/
The school was also the first online learning institution to participate in the Academic Quality Improvement Program where schools are reviewed annually, instead of the traditional 10-year basis.
Each of the Capella University programs have program-specific accreditations include:
● The American Counseling Association’s Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs
● The Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education
● The Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET
● The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
● The Project Management Institute Global Accreditation Center for Project Management (PMI-GAC)
● The Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs
For more information, please address your letters to Capella University, Capella Tower, 225 South Sixth Street, Ninth Floor, Minneapolis, MN 55402, (or simply Capella University Minneapolis MN 55402). You may also call the Capella University number 1.888.CAPELLA (227.3552) or check out its official website at www.capella.edu
Take note that there’s no, say, Capella college of nursing or management. Instead, the university classifies its program into four categories, namely, bachelor’s degrees, masters’ degrees, doctoral degrees, and certificate programs as well as individual courses. Clicking a category, such as bachelor’s degree programs, reveals choices in business, health sciences, information technology psychology and nursing; these are all bachelor of science degrees, meaning that these have a more science-centric format than bachelor of arts degrees.
Capella University’s online program is called FlexPath. Take note that the Capella University Flexpath option is available for certain programs, not all. Over the course of 12 weeks, students learn at their own pace without pre-set deadlines.
The Capella University Flexpath¹ degrees are currently available for selected bachelor’s, certificate, and master’s programs in business, health care, information technology, nursing, and psychology.
BS — Accounting
BS — Business Administration
BS — Health Care Management
BS — Human Resource Management
BS — Project Management
BS — Management and Leadership
MBA — Business Intelligence
MBA — Entrepreneurship
MBA — General Business Administration
MBA — Global Operations and Supply Chain Management
MBA — Health Care Management
MBA — Human Resource Management
MBA — Project Management
Certificate — Business Intelligence
Certificate — Business Management
Certificate — Entrepreneurship
Certificate — Management Consulting
MEd — Teaching and Learning²
BS — General Information Technology
BS — Information Assurance and Cybersecurity
BS — IT Project Management
BS — Minor: Network Technology: Cisco
BS — Minor: Network Technology: Microsoft
BS — Minor: System Development: Mobile
BS — Minor: System Development: Web Application
BSN — RN-to-BSN
RN-to-BSN/MSN — Combined Option
MSN — Care Coordination³
MSN — Nursing Education
MSN — Nursing Informatics³
MSN — Nursing Leadership and Administration
RN-to-MSN Care Coordination³
RN-to-MSN Nursing Education³
RN-to-MSN Nursing Informatics³
RN-to-MSN Nursing Leadership & Administration³
See graduation rates, median student debt, and other information at http://www.capellaresults.com/
¹Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is not available for FlexPath.
²This program has not yet been evaluated by the Minnesota State Approving Agency and is therefore not currently eligible for VA benefits.
³The FlexPath option for this program is not currently approved for federal financial aid by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Ability to understand, read, speak, and write fluently in English.
- Official transcript(s) from previous institutions for degree and post-degree coursework.
- A 3.0 GPA as defined by your program.
- For bachelor’s program: high school diploma or equivalent and 45 transferable college credits.
- For master’s program: a bachelor’s degree. Some programs may require that this degree be in the field in which you intend to study, or that you have a minimum amount of relevant, professional experience in that field.
- RN-to-BSN and MSN applicants must also hold current, unrestricted RN license (or its equivalent) to practice in at least one United States jurisdiction.
Get in touch with us. FlexPath is a unique, online-learning format and we want to make sure it’s right for you.
Step into FlexPath is an option for those who don’t qualify for FlexPath. This gives you an opportunity to start a program in our GuidedPath learning format, and then transition into FlexPath upon successful completion of a set number of courses, as determined by your program, at a 3.0 GPA or higher.
Unlike the traditional learning experience, FlexPath learners lean on videos, articles, and their own work experience to complete curriculum. Grading is based on how well students understand and solve problems. Students can take advantage of one-on-one coaching as well as FlexPath tutors to help them succeed through each assessment. A custom social media channel is also available for students to interact with and support one another.
As of December 2020, Capella University had approximately 1,574 faculty members and facility administrators. Of those, 87 percent of faculty have doctorates in their area of expertise and study. Professors and faculty are located across the United States, as well as six foreign countries.
Many, if not most, of the professors teaching Capella University online degrees are also involved in traditional classroom instruction. This parity contributes to excellent education for students and credibility for the university.
While the professors are known for their professional support vital for student success, students report that being on Capella Connect enhances their learning experience and sense of community. This is a free online community where students, professors and administrative staff can connect with each other, as well as connect with recruiters and alumni.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
Dedicated to making learning affordable to students of all walks of life, Capella University’s financial aid department offers a variety of financial aid and scholarships to students. Military can receive a 5 to 10 percent discount on their tuition. Capella’s experienced staff will help you understand your estimated total costs and provide customized options for financing and helping reduce tuition costs. Connect with an enrollment counselor at 1.866.679.9687 to learn more about:
• Federal financial aid
• Non-federal student loans
• Employer tuition reimbursement
• Military and veterans education benefits
• Scholarships for new and enrolled students
• Transfer credit and prior learning assessment
School Awards and Recognitions
Capella University has been a leader in online learning since the early 2000s, and has had a wide range of awards and other recognitions to show for it for students and faculty alike.
● Designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance/Cyber Defense by the Department of Homeland Security
● Named one of the Best Places to Work by Minneapolis St. Paul Business Journal
● Named one of the Top Military-Friendly Colleges and Universities by G.I. Jobs magazine
● Recognized by QualityMatters for its public safety programs
● Recipient of the 2016 Excellent in Assessment award
● Recipient of the 2015 Adventures in Innovation award
● Recipient of the 2014 WECT (WOW) award for its FlexPath online learning program
● Partner with the American Nursing Association
● Named a Yellow Ribbon organization by the State of Minnesota
Capella University works closely with recruiters to ensure graduates have a job lined up before they walk across the stage to pick up their hard-earned diploma. To date, the university has over 5,000 partnerships with businesses and professional organizations. Graduates have gone on to work at over 1,000 different academic institutions across the country. According to a survey done by Capella University, approximately 98 percent of employers who hired Capella graduates felt their performance on the job was exceptional.
Capella University also has a robust alumni program, allowing graduates to network with one another and volunteer for great causes. The school’s website features a special portal where alumni can log in and see upcoming events, find continuing development opportunities, and reconnect via social media.
- Top Accredited Online Colleges
- 40 Online Degrees Most Likely to Get You a Job
- Top 15 Online Schools for Bachelor’s in Organizational Management
- Top 15 Online Schools for Master’s Degrees in Gerontology
- 40 Online Degrees With High Salaries
- Top 20 Online Schools for Master’s of Health Informatics Degree Programs
- Top 15 Online Schools for Bachelor’s of Health Informatics Degree Programs
- Top 20 Online Schools for Bachelor’s of Criminal Justice Degree Programs
- Top 20 Online Schools for Doctoral Nursing Degree Programs
- Top 20 Online Schools for Master’s of Education Degree Programs
- Top 20 Online Schools for Master’s of Curriculum and Instruction Degree Programs
- Top 15 Online Schools for Master’s of Human Services Degree Programs
- Top 20 Online Schools for Master’s of Public Administration Degree Programs
- Top 15 Online Schools for Master’s in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Top 20 Online Master’s of Elementary Education Degree Programs
- Top 5 Online Bachelor’s of Information Technology
- Top 20 Online Master’s of Nursing Degree Programs
- Top 10 Online Bachelor of Finance Degree Programs
- Top 20 Online Master’s of Healthcare Administration
- Top Online Bachelor of Business Administration Programs
- Top 20 Doctor of Psychology Degree Programs
- Top Online Masters of Criminal Justice Degree Programs
- Top 20 Online Accounting Degree Programs
- Top 20 Online Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree Programs
- The 30 Most Innovative Online Colleges
- Certificate Programs offered at Top Online Schools
- How to Tell if Online Education is for You
- Top 10 Most Affordable, Accredited Online Colleges
- Top 10 Accredited Online Colleges – Online Focused